Friday, January 14, 2011

Changes

Well as I can imagine changes are just beginning.  I am scared, hopeful, sad, happy, devastated, grateful.  I know some of those words sound bizarre but I have FAITH!   I have been through some tough times before and I have only become stronger. 

I always lean on this scripture in my time of need!  We can rejoice too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us-they help us learn to endure. And endurance develops strength of character in us, and character strengthens our confident expectation of salvation. And this expectation will not disappoint us. For we know how dearly god loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.
-Romans 5:3-5

Okay on to the changes.  First change is I will be going to KU Med for my treatments.  I have 2 appointments the 1st one is humongous amount of labs, x-rays, and body scans.  Oh and you can believe I told them that I have a vasovagal response when it comes to needles so they are just going to start an IV instead of many needle pokes! :)    I will then meet with my new oncologist the following morning to see what the plan of action is.  Dr. Fabian's nurse believes they will start chemo to shrink the tumor before we do surgery.  I did get some good news regarding my markers.  I don't know what some of these terms mean so I will just add links for you to research on your own if you wish.  I found out that estrogen/progesterone is highly positive which is good news as well as the her2 protein being 1+.  The tumor growing rate is 41% so it has been there awhile but I personally have felt the lump for 2 months.  So that was nothing new.    The radiologist new right away just by looking at the tissue which is why we really had the blow last Friday and was prepared on that following Tuesday.  They test your tissue with histological grade and I have Nottingham grade 3.  YUCK! :(   My total score was 8/9.  

Oh and one really sweet story!  This made my day yesterday! I was dropping Miles off at preschool and one of his classmates was headed inside and looked at me and said, Hey your sick!?  I said yes, but the Dr.'s are going to make me feel better really soon!   It is at those times that I smile and say I can do this!  I will beat this. 

Thank you sooo much for all your prayers, phone calls, visits, cards!  I feel soo supported and know that I can get through this.  I know the first lesson I will be learning is that the laundry and dishes can be loaded multiple ways and they get clean the same way!!! GASP! Ha!  I laugh just thinking about this :)

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Courtney,

Before moving up here, I worked at the KU Cancer Center for 5 years. Fabian is THE BEST! So WONDERFUL news there! Yes, Leaning on God is what will get you through! Praying for you today!

Jen

Tiffany said...

I'm so glad you were able to get in with Dr F! It sounds like she comes highly recommended.

And...I'm REALLY laughing at the dishwasher & laundry comment...you mean you won't even reload the dishwasher after I leave???? I always thought of myself as somewhat anal...until I met you :) Love ya!

Shellie said...

You are incredible, thanks for sharing the scripture. Sounds like you got a great doc. Let me know how I can help with kiddos, correct dishwasher loading, or whatever:) You and yours are a constant in my thoughts and prayers!

Kara said...

Ah Courtney! You cease to amaze me! Your positive outlook is just contagious and you are making a difference!
I can't wait to get together on Monday! I'm bringing a meal to put in your freezer for when you need some grub for your family!
Prayers and Love!

Lori said...

I'm sure you will be amazed at how much others can do when you can't. it's time to step back and focus a bit more on yourself and know that the world will not stop if the laundry's done

carolm said...

courtney, you will be in my thoughts and prayers. stay strong girl. you've had to deal with a lot of struggles and survived. i love you. xoxox ~ carol.

Matt said...

You best believe the Stanley's are praying for you and Brian and the fam. We're thinking about you lots lately. Call if you need anything.

Kristyn @ Good Gravy Crafts said...

Thinking of you Sweetie!! Keep up that positivity!

We are here....

xx-Kristyn

Karla Kramer said...

Courtney--I will plan on bringing over some food for the freezer sometime. You have some of the shittiest luck of anyone I know! he he! BUT you are also one of the strongest people I know, so you will get through this. Remember to look to God for guidance and support and don't be afraid to ask for help. Yes, dishes do get washed no matter how they're loaded!!! :-) Take care of you, and always know you're in my thoughts and prayers. Love ya!

Karla

Brenda Weaver said...

Oh Courtney! I had no idea!! I'm not on facebook a whole lot, but a few times I saw posts by you and didn't know what they meant. I didn't know about the breast cancer!
I just wanted to let you know that I'll be praying for you! You're a fighter and you'll get through this. God's got you under His wing!
Hugs and prayers, girl!

Brenda @ Pburg said...

Courtney, We are thinking of you and your family go through this. It is a journey that I don't wish on anyone. Hang in there girl.